Monday, May 18, 2009

SkunK - From so far west its "East".


Besides massive jet lag and sitting on the tarmac for an hour getting past the "new flu" quarantine, my movement west went off with out a hitch. Nothing like being greeted by inspectors coming on the plane wearing surgical blue suits, goggles and masks (so they can take your temperature with thermal imagery equipment), to let you know you are in a unique, trendy corner of the world. Yes they take the "new flu" seriously. The national health office passed us off to the locals - they tracked us all down to a noodle shop (pictured below) - using a new cell phone number I did not give then - so they can make daily inquiry's about our temperature for the first week in country. In the states I might have been ticked at the intrusion. However being polite, efficient and service oriented sure makes a difference. The national news on Monday went a full 22 minutes about the "new flu", with 8 minutes to cover the rest of the news. OK - so the national culture here can be a bit obsessive. lol

One of the reasons I chose to set up quarters here is that many technical innovations you see common here five years earlier than the good old USA. The sleepy town I am in also has good deep sea and surf fishing, great restaurants, fresh fish and farmers markets - no need to be miserable while you work! Beside, as you noted in the first picture, the SkunK is some kind of Smokey Bear cult figure here - first picture roughly translated - "Caution! Prevent forest fires!" After five days I haven't seen another foreign tourist.
Washer
My Clothes Washer/Clothes Dryer is one small appliance with one door. Works great, not yet sure how.

Refrigerator
In the USA most refrigerators have a refrigerator door and a freezer door. The one I just bought has three doors, with the freezer in the middle. Many come with up to seven or eight doors. You can get out the eggs without opening a big door. (Eggs are about $2.69 for ten- not a dozen) You do not know you need that many doors yet - but within five years you will be educated to demand it!

Socks
Not much technical innovation in socks! Or is there? The delivery crew who came to set up my new appliances had socks that fit like a glove, rather than a mitten. That's right, each toe had a place to go! I went out and bought a pair for about $2. The ankle also has a fold of extra material so there is no stretch there - and the bottom has small pads - you do not slide in your shoes. Felt different at first, but comfortable after a minute or two.

Hot Water Heater
I have a digital control pad on the kitchen wall that controls the temperature of the tank-less water heater.

Toilet My western style toilet plugs in and has a remote control on the wall. Haven't touched it yet. lol. Flush handle goes two ways. Low and High. Finally a "power assist" for these low volume flushes!
TV
The LCD TV has a LAN rj-45 connection on it? I will let you know when I figure out why.

Doors
All commercial glass doors have a button in the glass that activates the door. Doors do not fly open when you get within ten feet of them. You push the button and they slide open. The only place I still saw the auto-open doors was at the bank. Very High traffic and large rooms.
Construction
Scaffolding has changed from bamboo to metal, since my last extended visit. I have seen diggers with about a half cubic foot hydraulic shovel sitting on a lawn mower sized tracked vehicle. No job too small (to be automated) comes to mind!

Many of the things I mentioned here you may have already been familiar with. Some I was aware of but hadn't seen in action. Hopefully something I spotted here so far will give you an investment idea. The SkunK believes all will be common in the states eventually. Maybe you will even share your investment idea with me?

Good Hunting,
From the far west- (at least that's the direction I traveled to get here.)

SkunK

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterTamron